Winter is here, and it’s not just your wardrobe that needs a revamp; your HVAC system also requires some attention. Your heating system is essential to keep you warm during the winter hence it’s vital to ensure it’s in good condition.
HVAC maintenance is crucial, especially during the colder season, as it helps avoid problems and enhances the efficiency of your system. In this blog, we will discuss the risks of skipping such maintenance and five common steps to prepare your HVAC system for the winter season.
Are There Risks to Skipping on HVAC Maintenance?
Unmaintained HVAC systems can lead to potentially dangerous situations such as carbon monoxide leaks and electrical emergencies. According to data from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), malfunctioning heating equipment resulted in 13% of all home heating fires.
Moreso, unmaintained systems can put an additional load on your HVAC system leading to higher energy costs and they can cause respiratory allergies, affecting the overall indoor air quality, and leading to health hazards.
5 Common Maintenance Steps: Things to Look Out For
These steps will not only help you avert potential safety hazards but also optimize your system’s performance and efficiency. Understanding and implementing these steps will give you peace of mind throughout the winter season!
- Change the Air Filters: Dirty air filters are a common cause of furnace malfunctions, leading to inefficiency. Air filters should be replaced every 30 to 60 days, especially during the winter season.
- Check the Thermostat: Ensure that your thermostat is calibrated correctly to avoid heating system failure. You can test the thermostat by setting the heat a few degrees higher than the room temperature and measuring the difference.
- Inspect the Ductwork: Leaky ducts can cause significant energy losses, resulting in higher energy bills. Check the duct joints and connections for any leaks.
- Clean the Furnace: A dirty furnace makes it difficult to heat your home efficiently. Clean your furnace to ensure it operates at optimal efficiency.
- Professional HVAC Maintenance: Consider hiring a professional company like Shriver Mechanical for your HVAC maintenance. They can help avoid costly repairs, ensure your HVAC system operates efficiently, and extend the life of your system.
Taking HVAC maintenance seriously is crucial, especially during the winter season. Skipping maintenance can lead to safety hazards and hike up your energy costs. By adhering to the tips provided in this blog post, you can keep your HVAC system running efficiently while keeping your loved ones safe during the winter.
Shriver Mechanical’s HVAC Maintenance Can Help Keep Your Energy Costs Down
Shriver Mechanical offers a variety of HVAC maintenance services that can help keep your energy costs down during the winter months and your otherwise freezing home, a lot more comfortable. With over 30 years of experience in the industry, we use the latest tools and techniques to provide efficient and reliable solutions.
Schedule an appointment today and get your HVAC ready for winter!