Air Conditioners: When to Repair and Replace?
With the summer weather setting in, your air conditioner is turning it up. What happens when your cooling system isn’t working as it should? While air conditioners have a life of up to 20 years, sometimes they need to be repaired or replaced before then. How do you know if you need AC repair in Marietta? While you should always call a repairman if your system isn’t acting right, here are 5 signs that there could be a serious issue.
1. It isn’t cooling. Your air conditioner has one job to do—cool your home. If it isn’t blowing cool air, that’s a tell-tale sign that there is a problem. It could mean that your system’s compressor is failing or that the Freon levels aren’t high enough. No matter what the issue is, your unit definitely needs to be repaired.
2. The thermostat isn’t communicating with your system. Your air conditioner relies on your thermostat to tell it when to turn on and how long to run. If the thermostat isn’t working correctly, it could affect the temperature in your house. Whether it isn’t turning on or isn’t reflecting the right temperature, a faulty thermostat needs to be repaired or replaced in order for your system to work correctly.
3. Strange noises. If you’ve started to hear squealing, banging, grinding, or grating sounds coming from your system, it could indicate that you need to replace your unit. While it could simply be a part that needs to be replaced, if ignored for long enough, it could result in an expensive overhaul.
4. Foul odors. Your air conditioner should never smell bad. If you’ve began to notice pungent or musty odors coming from your ductwork, your wire insulation could be burned out. It could also be a sign of mold or mildew. Whatever the problem might be, it’s important to have it taken care of immediately.
5. Slow air flow. If your air conditioner has started blowing air at a slower speed than normal, there could be a serious issue with your system’s compressor or ductwork. Have it examined immediately to restore airflow and prevent more costly repairs down the line.
It’s important to act as soon as you begin to notice a problem with your AC system. By calling a professional company to examine your unit, they can determine whether or not you simply need to repair a part or completely replace your system. Don’t sweat it out this summer. If you begin noticing an issue with your air conditioner, call in an expert for AC repair today.